One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




04 November 2008

Happy Birthday...

...to ME!

Friday I will officially enter my late 20s.

Friday brings the big 2-6!

Friday I'll arguably be a grown up.

Friday I'll have been married for 4.5 years - WAY longer than I'd planned before having kids...

But, by God's ENORMOUS grace, I wasn't bemoaning the fact I'd wanted to be a mom by 23. I've been so outrageously blessed over these past 3, different-than-I'd-desired years. I can't say I want those trials back, but now, after I've see the fruit borne from them, I wouldn't trade them.

Indeed, Sunday, when Stephan announced we were celebrating my birthday that night, I was celebrating!

Stephan had some homework to finish before we could paint the town red, so he dropped me at our local Borders to have my quiet time and read while he did 'one last thing'. While he was out I saw a coworker and her new husband (hurray!) shopping for a cookbook. It was lovely seeing them while I waited.

When Stephan returned he had his quiet time too and after a couple hours of work for him and reading for me, we were in the car heading out for dinner. He didn't tell me where we were going, but as we drove along my suspicions narrowed until they eventually pin-pointed in the parking garage outside my favorite Spanish tapa bar, Jaleo!

"Before we go in," Stephan said, reaching into the back seat, "...your gift!"

Inside the gift bag was a bottle of my favorite face scrub (which was the 'one last thing' Stephan had run out to get) and a red shirt. This is a special red shirt - it's from Gap's (RED) line, the products they sell and donate proceeds to AIDS research and relief in Africa. The red shirts have different words across the front, and where the letters R-E-D appear, they add the parens and Voila! you have INSPI(RED) and CULTU(RED) and now, on my shirt, TREASU(RED). I saw this shirt in the store and loved it - but remembered commenting to Stephan that "THAT is not a shirt you buy for yourself..." It had to be bought by someone who, well, treasures you!

'Nuff said. I was pretty moved. If ever I wondered how Stephan felt about me, it was printed across the front of my shirt - treasured.

After reading a very sweet card (written on one of the Thank You notes we used after our wedding!) we headed into the restaurant!

We ordered 6 tapas and Sangria, and as we nibbled Stephan had some meaningful encouragement for me. I was pretty taken aback and very edified. The food was wonderful, as usual at Jaleo. The company was phenomenal, as was to be expected with Stephan. Then there was another surprise.

Stephan pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to our waiter.

"It's my wife's birthday," he explained. "She recieved this in her email."

The waiter smirked and nodded, then slipped away, assuring us he'd 'take care of it.'

Moments later the hostess popped over to our table and, after confirming it was indeed my birthday, presented me with a small vial of Spanish saffron. THAT'S a present that blows free dessert or a drink out of the water. I'll definitely be back at Jaleo next year.

Stephan lead really well in conversation through dinner. It was so pleasant to just sit down and have him available for chatter. School is bearing down on him and those times are less and less frequent in this season. His sacrifice of time was probably the most meaninful of his gifts.

On the way home he asked if I'd like to rent Prince Caspian to watch together. After affirming that I would, we swung by Blockbuster only to learn it wasn't released on video yet. So instead, Stephan asked if I'd be blessed by him giving me an hour of his time to help me clean up the house. I emphatically said it would, being as our home had gotten a little messy and I knew it would take a large chunk of time the next day to normalize the place. With Stephan's help, it was done in half the time and I could get on to non-urgent tasks I'd been putting off. I was EXTREMELY grateful!

The last present of the day was getting to bed on time! Try as we might, this doesn't happen too regularly in our home. It was wonderful.

Stephan, you're an incredibly thoughtful and sacrificial husband. Whenever I reflect on it, I can see how, in every way, you are the perfect match created for me by God. Thanks for making 26 so special. Thanks for treasuring me. Even if children never come for us, you're more to me than 10 sons. Love you buckets!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hey there! So glad to hear that you had an awesome birthday. May your 26th year here bring you much joy! love~mish