One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




06 March 2008

1 Tim 3:11

A couple weeks ago my husband displayed his extraordinary humility again by asking me to begin praying 1 Tim 3:1-13 for him. This is a set of passages that talk about the qualifications of overseers and deacons - I don't think it's a far stretch to think about this is qualifications for pastors too.

As I began doing this, I came across this verse stuck in the middle:

"Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things."

Well, if Stephan wanted to be that kind of man, I certainly wanted to be that kind of woman. For some reason the last quality, "faithful in all things", really stood out to me - not because I felt I excelled at faithfulness, but because I didn't.

Givign some thought and prayer to what faithfulness looked like, I settled upon a functional definition. It certainly isn't all encompassing, but it's helped me evaluate my level of faithfulness in different areas.

Faithfulness is doing what you've committed to doing (what God has clearly commanded or given you faith for in a season) in a timely way, and if you can't, saying so.

This takes work. But if anyone can accomplish this in me, the God who is able to do abundantly more than all we can ask or imagine can!

No comments: