One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




08 December 2008

Kari(s) is here!

After 9 months of anticipation, our 3rd 'niece', Karis (who's name, you'll notice, is spelled a lot like mine), has joined us!

She arrived on December 4th. That morning Stephan and I packed up a bag and headed to her parent's house for a 4 day stay. We'd been given the HUGE honor and wildly fun job of watching the other 5 siblings while mom and dad were away welcoming Karis to the ranks.

It was definitely one of the absolute funnest weekends of my life. Every time I head over to this family's home to watch the kids for a day while mom and dad are out, or just hang out with the whole family for dinner, prayer and games, I always brace myself to have my desire for a big family adjusted.

It never happens.

And now, after 4 days with these phenomenal kids, I'm more sure than ever that it never will. I simply can't imagine having fewer than 4 or 5 kids now. Stephan and I pray for a big family more fervently than ever.

Over the past few days I've counted to 5 a million times, making sure all troops were accounted for - and instructed those little troops to help clean and cook. I've changed diapers, picked out clothes and done hair. I've bought bunny food and hot chocolate. I've peeled countless clementines. I've made party hats and welcome signs and fairies with little star faces. I've wiped noses and cleaned faces.

And, on one particularly memorable day, I was crowned queen, my husband the king was killed in a great battle, my throne was usurped, I crossed mountains, was chased by goblins, lived renegade in an abandoned cottage, fell deathly ill with fever, was nursed back to health by my dedicated children, was sent word that the usurper had been overthrown by a planted spy, was restored to my throne, and married to said spy after years of exile... (fortunately Stephan returned with the 10-year-old from an errand they were running and lunch was served).

I watched my 'nephew' design tobogans for the stairs and lead his little brothers in using them. I've listened through the bathroom vent as he helped his little brothers bathe. I've been astounded by the astuteness of his questions and insatiable curiosity. I've squinted when I was reminded again how loud he can be.

I sat on the front stoop and knitted a scarf with my 'niece'. I've marveled at her creativity and ingenuity as I've watched her work with her hands on various craft projects. I've shook my head at her free spirit and beauty. I've snickered at her undying desire to enforce what the grown ups say.

I listened to my 'nephew' hold a little plastic toy in his hand and create an entire world around it. His creativity is absolutely boundless. I've listened to and participated in his endless stories. He can imagine anything into existance. And, whenever I have to point his sin out to him, he knows that Jesus had to die for it, but also that he has a savior. I pray this knowledge penetrates his heart (and his siblings') soon.

I've read Green Eggs and Ham to my 'nephew' at least 7 times. I've smirked as he always points out that the food gets wet at the end and the dog-guy still eats it. I've chuckled at how he always jumps at loud noises in movies. I've watched as he strives to keep up with his siblings as they run and jump from helecopters and stormed penguin villages, thinking he really caught the storyline but thoroughly enjoying the romp. All assumptions were debunked the day I fell into hysterics when, after learning his brother was playing the role of polar bear hunter, he pulled his bear-eared winter hat off and declared "I don't want to wear this hat - my brother will shoot at me!" I've melted as I watch him wait eagerly for the hug that comes after every time he has to ask forgiveness from one of his siblings.

I've asked my 'neice' "where's Karis?" over and over, trying to help her understand that her sister is now here with us and no longer "in mommy's tummy!", as she's answered for 9 months. I've put her hair up in pigtails and held her to the mirror so she could see. I've buckled her into her high chair - sometimes long before a meal, at her request - so we wouldn't find her hanging overboard. I've fed her, and felt my heart drop into my stomach when I realized it was too hot for her little mouth. She's a forgiving (or forgetful) and obedient child, however, and it truly is a joy to have her listen and respond when I say "that's hot!" or "wait for me!", or even just "no, sweetie."

And now we have Karis. I can't wait for the stories I'll have of her.

Oh, and then there's the awesome parents. What can I say about them...Go Cowboys?

Love to the whole clan of 8 - can't wait to be with you guys again!

No comments: