One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




15 May 2006

Galatians 3:3

"Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?" --Galatians 3:3


I read this in my quiet time this morning. It spoke to one of my biggest temptations: self sufficiency. I'm tempted every day to start believing that I can do things - like grow in godliness - on my own.

"For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." --Romans 8:8


Scripture is clear that a mind left to itself is hostile to God and cannot please him. We need God's help to do anything that pleases him. So Paul posed a good question to the Galatians: If it took the an act of the Holy Spirit to save you in the first place, what makes you think you can proceed solo from there? It takes God's work in me, God's spirit, to make even the smallest advance toward Christ-likeness. I have to be on my toes, guarding against beleiving I am every able to grow in godliness on my own. I have to petition God daily - minutely, even - for his enabling power to please him.

No comments: