One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




17 May 2006

Worthy of Honor

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" --Jeremiah 17:9

I wish I could get this into my thick head - my thick head perched upon my stiff neck.

Thank God for my husband, who does get it.

Stephan knows he has a heart that's desperately sick with sin - and he doesn't trust it for an instant. This has produced a humility in him that informs his every action, and I am astounded by it.

Here's his trick: he understands the gospel. He knows exactly how he stands before the Lord - by grace alone. He knows there's no good thing in himself apart from God. This keeps him from so many judmental criticisms, fits of anger, and idols of self that he would otherwise be prey to.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't have a perfect husband. He still sins. But I do want to honor him for his humility before the Lord and before me.

Stephan, I've said it before - you are my chief treasure under my salvation. Thank you for being such an example of humility to me, your proud, proud wife. Thank you for considering every criticism. Thank you for being quick to apologise, and quicker to forgive. Thank you for loving your savior and desiring God's glory above all other things. Thank you for loving me in spite of my being completely unlovely. Despite what you think of yourself, you are growing into a passionate man of God, by his grace. Pray for your wife, who doesn't yet understand as you do how desperately sick her heart is. I hope I can attain in third before I die the humility you exhibit now. I love you.

No comments: