One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




10 July 2006

Maintenance

I finished Philippians the other day and started Colossians.

As I started reading this new book of the bible, I was greeted with this passage:

"And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that
you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and
understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to
him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all
endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified
you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from
the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in
whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." --Col 1:9-14


Aw, how nice. It is a very pretty prayer for a pastor to pray for his congregation. But I was struck by the implications of this prayer. First, Paul prays that the Colossians would have wisdom to know God's will, and thus could walk in a way that pleased him in everything, and eventually know him more. Second he prays that they'd have the stregnth to endure anything with patience and joy, giving thanks to the God who saved their souls from hell. Then, as he's always faithful to do, he throws in the Gospel by way of reminder.

Pause over this for a moment. Know God's will. Please him in everything. Know him more. Endure all circumstances with patience and joy. Give thanks no matter what for the Gospel. These are wonderful aspirations! I want these things for my own life. I was so affected by how well-rounded this prayer was in attacking many of the root problems of our sin and pointing us back to the God who saved us that I decided to pray it for myself every day. If I could mantain the major points of this prayer in my life, I would see alot of fruit. I need to be specific in my prayers in battling my sin also, but this is a great all-around prayer. This is a wonderful maintenance prayer for the christian life.

No comments: