One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




26 January 2006

God's point of view

"Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. ... For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption. Therefore, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

--1 Corinthians 1:20, 26-31

This was part of what I read during my quiet time this morning. I had to ask myself why I ever aspire to be strong, smart, or powerful by the world's standards. This passage makes clear God's stance toward those who believe themselves to be wise, strong, or praise-worthy: he will use the 'foolish', the 'weak, and the 'despised' to bring them down. Why? So no human will boast before God.

Scripture is full of stories that show how God chooses the lowliest of the lowley to accomplish his purposes, the seemingly uneducated to bring down the smart, and the small to bring down the huge. Look at Gideon, look at David, both in his battle with Goliath and his being chosen as king - look at our savior, Jesus. Few births and lives were in more humble circumstances than his. God even chose to save us through actions and circumstances that seem utterly foolish and illogical to the world. This is the greatest and most profound act he's ever put his hand to, and again, he didn't choose the fanfare and glory worthy of heaven. He chose to do it in a way that 'made foolish the wisdom of the world'. To show us that we don't understand a thing.

This passage show's God's opinion of our human reasoning and powers of debate. God has 'made foolish the wisdom of the world'. God has repeatedly used those who were lowely to do great things - because then the newspapers the next day don't say "KARI DID GREAT THINGS!!" - they say "God did great things!" How else can great feats be explained when they were performed by inadequate people? It can only be God.

I have to watch myself - I become cocky real easily. I think I'm smart. I think I'm wise. I think I measure up really well. But God is always faithful to use something as simple and 'foolish' as the Gospel to put me back in my place. And it happens - When I look at the Cross, I am stripped of all reason for boasting in myself.

So how can I be truly wise? How can I boast? Paul doesn't mince words: "[God] is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption. Therefore, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." My wisdom is Christ. My boast is Christ. My focus should be on him in everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

out of curiousity, i searched for tabletofmyheart to see if the username is still available in blogspot. (i used mine in livejournal). i'm glad to find your blog, it is insipiring. :)

- tabletofmyheart.livejournal.com