One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




16 January 2006

The Kid Book

I got another journal =)

I seem to have a reputation of liking new journals. Well, I got another one. It's got purple lilacs on the cover. It's very pretty.

This journal has a specific pourpose. It's my Kid Book. I've recently become accutely aware of the Hurculean task it will be to be a parent. (And let me just state: NO STEPHAN AND I ARE NOT PREGNANT.) However, we may be someday, and given that, I don't want to wait until the test reads positive to start preparing.

So I started The Kid Book. The Kid Book is simple. It's a book with nothing more than a list of bulleted points, some only a couple words long. It's where I've started taking notes on things I've learned from people who are parents already. Like what my pastor said in his sermon about teaching his 4 year old to 'turn off her 'wanter'' whenever they went into a store - he's teaching her contentment and not to be greedy. Or that book my new-mom friend raves about, Shepherding your Child's Heart. Some things are profound, like "never be too proud to ask their forgiveness, even when they're very young - use it as an opportunity to show them mommy needs a savior too, just like them." Other things are simple, simple enough for me to come up with myself: "READ TO THEM."

Some of these things I can't practice until I'm actually a mom, but there is one thing I want to start doing now, and that's praying for my kids. There are a couple reasons for this. The first is that I want it to be deep set habit long before they arrive, just like praying for my husband. But also, Stephan and I have a huge heart for adoption, so for all we know, our kids may already be born.

I want to pray simple prayers for their salvation, but I want to be more specific as well. I have a prayer book called Valley of Vision. It's a compilation of puritan prayers, and it's absolutely amazing. I read them and my head just bobs continuously in agreement. There are two prayers that I'm using as templates for praying for my family - including my kids. They're called "The "nevers" of the Gospel" and "True Religion." You may find them helpful in praying for your family and friends also.

The "nevers" of the Gospel

Oh Lord,
May I
Never fail to come to the knowledge of the truth,
never rest in a system of doctrine, however scriptural, that does not bring or ruther salvation, or teach me to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts, or help me to live soberly, righteously, godly;
never rely on my own convictions and resolutions, but be strong in thee and in thy might;
never cease to find thy grace sufficient in all my duties, trials, and conflicts;
never forget to repair to thee in all my spiritual distresses and outward troubles, in all the dissatisfactions experienced in creature comforts;
never fail to retreat to him who is full of grace and truth, the friend that loveth at all times, who is touched with feelings of my infirmities, and can do exceeding abundantly for me;
never confine my religion to extraordinary occasions, but acknowledge thee in all my ways;
never limit my devotions to particular seasons but be in thy fear all the day long;
never be godly only on the sabbath or in thy house, but on every day abroad and at home;
never make piety a dress but a habit, not only a habit but a nature, not only a nature but a life.
Do good to me by all thy dispensations, bu all means of grace, by worship, prayers, praises,
And at last let me enter that world where is no temple, but only thy glory and the Lamb's.

True Religion

Lord God Almighty,
I ask not to be enrolled amongst the earthly great and rich, but to be numbered with teh spiritually blessed.
Make it my present, supreme, preserving concern to obtain those blessings which are spiritual in their nature, eternal in their continuance, satisfying in their possession.
Preserve me from a false estimate of the whole or a part of my character;
May I pay regard to my principles as well as my conduct, my motives as well as my actions.
Help me never to mistake the excitement of my passions for the renewing of the Holy Spirit, never to judge my religion by occasional impressions and impulses, but by my constant and prevailing disposition.
May my heart be rigth with thee, and my life as becometh the gospel.
May I maintain a supreme regard to another and better world, and feel and confess myself a stranger and apilgrim here.
Afford me all the direciton, defence, support, and consolation my journey hence requires, and grant me a mind stayed upon thee.
Give me large abundance of the supply of they Spirit of Jesus, that I may be prepared for every duty, love thee in all my mercies, submit to thee in every trial, trust thee when walking in darkness, have peace in thee admist live's changes.
Lord, I believe, help thou my unblief and uncertanties.

No comments: