One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




23 January 2006

Words

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. ... Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Ephesians 4:29, 31-32


I just had a run in with "corrupting talk". Unkind, hurtful words seem to decay everything they touch. The words weren't even spoken to me, but I heard them, and I feel their effects. My heart goes out to the reciever of the words...

I myself often struggle with being a person who speaks corruting talk. I have a very sharp tongue, to my discredit. It's a major temptation for me. I have to watch myself every second. This is a helpful passage for people like me. This is a great "don't/do" passage.

DON'T: allow any "corrupting talk come out of your mouths"
DO: allow "only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

Scripture doesn't allow any wiggle room here. "Let NO corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but ONLY such as is good for building up..." (ephasis mine). We're to completely refrain from words that are going to discourage growth in godliness, and only speak words that will encourage growth in godliness. That's what the passage means by "as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." We have to consider what's needed by the reciver of our words and, as fits to occasion, seek to empart that grace which will help them grow in godliness.

What does this look like? Well, the next couple verses tell us: "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice." If any of these things are coming out of our mouths, that's corrupting talk. All these things discourage growth in godliness. "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." Here's the kind of talk God is looking for.

The context the corrupting words I just heard were in was that of correction. Someone was correcting a behavior by someone else. This begs the question though, if someone is sinning and needs correction, can we not tell them? Certainly we can - we must, we're commanded to. Remember, the point is to encourage growth in Godliness, not just keep people feeling happy about themselves. But the Bible isn't going to contradict itself - permit correction only to allow corrupting talk. The two can coexist. That being the case, we must assume that it is still possible to bring correction to others without being bitter, wrathful, angry, clamorous or slanderous, but while being kind, tenderhearted, and humble - realizing that we should forgive others as God in Christ forgave us.

A tough line to walk, I know. I fail all the time. It's important to remember to lean on God for the ability to do this, and not on myself. Frankly put, of myself I'm doomed. But by God's grace I really want to try though - every time I remember the times when I myself have been the target of corrupting talk, I want to strive to never make another person feel that way.

No comments: