One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




16 January 2006

Humility

I have a cousin whom I haven't had much interaction with throughout my life. But recently we began talking, and it's been such a blessing! She's such an example to me in a certain area (though not only in that area): She's a God-watcher.

She's always on the lookout for how God is teaching her, helping her, correcting her or loving her. Nothing happens without her tying it back to God and his kindness. She's always faithful to ask me "So what's God been doing lately?" I hope it's contageous!

So here's something God's been doing lately. I've kind of got a pride issue. Well, not kinda. I've got a big pride issue. I'm proud, terribly proud. And the sad thing is, I've only come to accept it as truth in the past year or so. The happy thing is I serve a merciful God who revealed it to me and promises grace to change!

If you read my post on 10 questions to ask yourself at the start of a new year or on your birthday, one of the questions in this phenomenal list was "What book do you want to read most this year?" Given that I have a pride issue, I wanted to read the newest book by my church's old senior pastor C.J. Mahaney, appropriately titled Humility: True Greatness. Last week as I was praying, my desire to read this book came to mind. I briefly told God that I really wanted the book, but wasn't going to ask my husband if we could spring for it. I asked that he'd somehow provide me with the book, bringing it into my life when I needed it. I then went on with my prayer list.

This past Sunday, after service, I left my husband to run to the bathroom. He said he'd wait in the church bookstore. When I rejoined him, I asked what he'd been investigating. He said he was looking into a study bible. I told him I'd support that purchase if he felt it would enrich his quiet times. He said he felt it would, and went to get it. He approached the cashier to pay for the bible and, after his first subtotal, he said pointed to a shelf behind the cashier and said "Let's throw in a copy of Humility too."

I had to leave the bookstore because I was crying.

When Stephan rejoined me, I told him the story. Within days! Without even voicing my desire for the book for months, God laid it on my husband's heart to buy it for me. God is so kind.

Of course, this really really confirms my pride issue - my prayer was that God would bring it into my life when I needed it. Apparently I needed it right away. But how merciful of God to put into my hands a tool to mortify my pride and grow more humble? I'm not insulted, I'm grateful.

Check out the book if you think you may have a pride issue like me: Humility: True Greatness.

No comments: