One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




17 November 2006

"I stand a the door and knock"

My husband and I were reading through Romans 8 together last night, and read this:


"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified." --Romans 8:28-30


"You know," he said, "from start to finish, it's God working in us. We don't do anything. There's a whole bunch of 'he's in this passage and no 'I's or 'we's."


"Yeah," I said. Then I remembered something. "You know that painting of Jesus standing at the door of our heart and knocking?"


"Yep," Stephan said.


"Did you ever notice that in that painting, there's no doorknob?"


"No - really? There's no doorknob?"


"Nope," I said. "...but I think it would be a more accurate paiting if our side of the door was the one that had no knob."

No comments: