One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




24 November 2006

Thanksgiving

"...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." --1 Thess 5:18

There's a guy here at work who, when you ask him if he celebrates Thanksgiving, will tell you that every day is Thanksgiving to him. That's a good attitude.

God didn't set up Thanksgiving to be the only day of the year when we're to be focused on how much he has blessed us. He calls us to give thanks in all circumstances, regardless of date, time, place, or comfort. Good times show us his mercy and generosity. Bad times show us his committment to making us more like his son and less like the world. The inbetween times show us his forbearance with our sin. There's never a reason not to give thanks.

Instead of having separate quiet times on Thanksgiving Day, Stephan and I spent some time praying together and thanking God for all our blessings. I'm always amazed at how much I have to be thankful for when I really purpose to think about it.

First and foremost, I'm thankful for my salvation. I have the hope of heaven thanks to what Christ did for me on the cross. There's nothing I praise God for more than this.

Second, I'm thankful for my husband. I know I should feel guilty that the absolute best husband in the world is now off the market, but I don't. Stephan, I don't deserve your love, your patience, your encouragement, your care, or your example in godliness. I need look no further than you to see how much God loves me. Thank you for extending his love to me through your constant service and sacrifice for me. You're my greatest gift under my salvation. Thank you for marrying me.

Next comes my family! I have the coolest parents, the coolest parents in law, the coolest brother, the coolest siblings-in-law, the coolest extended family, the coolest extended family-in-law, and the coolest pets-in-law. God has shown me so much kindess and generosity through each of them. I hope to be more like each of them before I die, by God's grace.

Friends are certainly on my list. I've been blessed with so many friends from all over the world throughout the years. I wish I had the time to spend every evening with each of them. Lucky for me they understand busy schedules...and time differences! I'm so grateful for them.

And of course, I'm thankful for all my material blessings - food, clothing, water, shelter, not to mention the trillions of extras. God has been lavishly kind to me. I should be more grateful.

I've also been aware lately of how God has been particularly faithful to make good on his promises. Promises for provision, guidance, and growth have all come true in my life, just as God said they would in his Word. I'm grateful for that.

Oh, I guess I should talk about dinner. I spent Thanksgiving in New Jersey with my husband, parents-in-law, uncle-in-law, and their two dogs-in-law. We had green beans, curried pumpkin soup, cranberry salad, baked ham, mashed potatoes, and crab cakes (we're not an orthodox bunch). Dessert was fruit tarts with fresh whipcream. The best part though was getting to be with family, and see my uncle's woodwork and hear his stories again. I love his stories.

So, make sure to sit and think about what you have to be grateful for if you haven't already. It really brightens your day!

No comments: