One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




23 December 2005

Christmas Dinner!

Last year (What Stephan and I are calling "Christmas zero"), we had big plans. We'd reserved a cabin in the Shenandoah mountains! The hike in takes about 2 and a half hours, on a sporadically steep incline.

The last time we made the trip was with a class at in college. It was a terribly precarious journey in - The snow was packed down into slick ice by that time. I remember looking down and seeing something silver frozen into the ice on the trail. I took out my pocket knife and chiseled the thing out - a flashlight. On that same trip we got real chummy with fire. The cabin's potbelly stove was our best friend in the freezing temperatures. My boots nearly melted when I used them to whack the fire back into the fireplace (yes, it had fallen out). And Stephan nearly set the wooden table inside the cabin ablaze with a white gas stove. The invigorating mountain air, the view, and waking up to the sound of your professor's chainsaw were more than we ever could have hoped for. Anyone who knows us wouldn't wonder for a second why we wanted to go back there for our 'first christmas.'

We reserved the cabin and were well into making plans when Stephan confessed to me he was feeling sick. Two days before we were supposed to leave found Stephan on the couch with a fever and the chills, and I at my desk writing the cancelation letter for our cabin reservations. I slipped the key into the envelope and hoped that they'd have compassion on us when they learned our circumstances and refund our money. They didn't. Our first christmas came and went in a blur of fitful sleep for the sick and the caretaker.

So here it is Christmas again. We've mutually decided that last Christmas doesn't count. It's Christmas zero. This year will be Christmas one. And how are we shaping up this year?

Pretty well I think! We've got our tree set up. The stockings are hung by the bookcase with care. I found an amazing sugar-cookie recipe and have made Christmas cookies. Shopping is done and presents are appearing under the tree. Traditions are being instated. Going through the book of Luke at church has really helped to keep my focus on what Christmas is really about. And Christmas is on a Sunday this year - so I get to go to Church on Christmas! (a dream of mine since childhood.)

But christmas dinner is probably the thing I'm looking forward to most. I love cooking, so planning this meal has been really enjoyable. First will come the homemade pumpkin marmalade and goat cheese on warm oat bread. After that it's on to the main meal - Lapin aux Herbes de la Garrigue. Rabbit with wild herbs. We're doing steamed asparagus, dill-seasoned carrots and mashed potatoes as side dishes. Baked cinnamon apples are in line for dessert. We're mulling red wine as well (seasoning it with whole nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and sugar). The best thing about it is that Stephan is really excited. I really hope it blesses him.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY interesting meal plan, my dear! You'll have to tell me how it comes out!