One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




19 December 2005

Just the right time

Stephan and I went and saw the US Navy Band perform at Constitution Hall on Saturday night. The concert is always great, and we always love it. My work provides free tickets, so we grab two every year.

But Stephan got off work late. I had to scramble to get dinner prepared and ready to be eaten in the car, then rush to pick him off and get goin'. We arrived 10 minutes before showtime, so I jumped out to grab the tickets while Stephan went to find a place to park.

I got the tickets and then sat down to wait. While I waited, I made the mistake of letting my mind idle. Before I knew it I was in fully complaining mode. "Why does this always happen?" I thought. "We always show up late to stuff like this...It's because of Stephan's job. What an awful job he has. How dare they keep him late so consistently. And he has to work so much. They're such a greedy company. Why God? Why can't we have a dependable schedule? We just want to plan our life! Why do you allow everything to get so out of control?"

That's when it hit me - hard.
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.

Romans 5:6 (NIV). When God swings, he uses a big bat. I caught it full in the presumptuous head. "Kari, the act that saved your soul from hell was performed at just the right time. I can take care of the time Stephan gets out of work, or the time you make it into the concert."

What an adjustment. I repented. I thanked God for the provision that Stephan's job was, and his kindness in allowing us to see the concert for free, and that I had a savior who died for my specific sin in that specific moment.

The concert was wonderful - even if we missed the first two numbers. We were still treated to 3 large, burley seamen singing "Christmas don't be late" - in full chipmunk voices (yes, it sounded like they'd taken helium before coming out on stage!), "Mr. Grinch", "I wanna be a Christmas tree", and "Grandma got run over by a reigndeer". What could be better than watching such a great performance, all the while aware of God's amazing mercy and saving plan - which was set in motion on Christmas?

No comments: