One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




06 December 2005

Fight it!

Yesterday I was sitting on the couch looking at a cookbook when temptation presented itself. I threw my head back against the sofa and growled outloud in frustration - "God, this is hard! I don't want to fight sin anymore! I'm weary!"

Ever feel like some days you're just under attack from all fronts?

I sure do. The queue of temptations seems to reach back over the hills, and they never stop presenting themselves. I'm in a weakened physical state as well, which only makes mental and habitual discipline harder. My husband's been away from home more than normal, leaving me alone with my thoughts. What does one do in these situations? Here's what I'm trying to do. I don't always get it right and I fail often, but not always - by God's grace!

  1. Be honest about needing help. I never honestly and humbly recieve help unless I've admitted to myself that need it. I must be honest about my sinful state, and admit that it will disable any solo attempt I make to glorify the Lord.
  2. Cry out. I must seek help from the Lord. I must pray to him, crying out for his help, because I am too weak to battle my sin on my own. Any attempt to glorify him will fail without his grace. I have to remember the veil's been torn in two - I can access God anywhere! Wherever temptation presents itself, I can pray.
  3. Draw others in. I must seek help from other mature Christians. I must humbly confess my sin to them and ask for their input into the situation. They'll be able to see things I can't. I also need accountability - I need to share specific questions they can ask me over time and speicific ways they can pray for me.
  4. Meditate on the Gospel. One of the most effective things I can do! I must ask that God press the Gospel deep into my heart. With this perspective, sinning will seem such a silly choice against the backdrop of His ultimate expression of love for me.
  5. Don't let my mind idle!! This is by far the toughest part of the battle for me. I find I can't allow my mind any unoccupied time. I must decide that I'm going to set my mind on things above. I've purposed to make a habit of never letting my mind sit in silence. Praise music is very helpful, and can play while I'm doing any task. Lists of prayer requests are helpful, because then I'm never without something to pray for. From my desk to the bathroom is enough time for me to pray for the unsaved in my life. And of course, if my mind and hands are idle, I've got enough time to have a quiet time and read the Bible. Keeping God's promises close at hand is a helpful weapon against sin. Memorized scripture is also irreplaceable. God-centered books are also helpful to have on hand when I have free time.

As I persist in these disciplines, I find they become easier and more involentary. Instead of singing hip christmas songs (which are impossible to escape this time of year), I'm whistling "Beautiful Savior" before I realize it.

I didn't give in to the temptation presented while I was on the couch. I jumped for my Bible and cried out to God for help. And he's faithful to deliever. I may be weary, but God's at work in me, and he'll complete that work!

"...he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." --Phil 1:6

No comments: