One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




07 February 2006

At a loss...

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. --Romans 8:26-30

How I'm clinging to this passage today...

Ever feel completely at a loss for what to do or say? That's me today - got stuff weighing on my heart and I'm just sitting in my chair, completely at a loss...I feel weak and ineffective. I don't even know how to pray...

Well, apparently God's not surprised by these feelings of mine. In fact, he's already allotted for their presence. The opening words in this passage confirm that there's already holy back-up in place when I don't know how to pray - the Holy Spirit helps me in my weakness and intercedes on my behalf.

And here's better knews - the spirit not only intercedes on my behalf, but he prays perfectly on my behalf. He is privy to the perfect will of God and can pray according to it. And as this passage goes on to encourage us, all things in God's plan work together for the good of those who love him and were called according to his purpose (v8). I wish I could pray in perfect alignment with God's will. But somedays (like today) I just don't know how to pray at all. Most of the rest of the time my own sin keeps me from praying prayers in line with God's will. Either way, reinforcements are present.

Does this mean we should just stop praying at all? No, scripture wouldn't support that. When there's no other clarity on specifics to pray for, we can always simply tell God that we desire his will to come to pass, and express belief to him that his plan is perfect and all things work together for the good of those who love him.

We mustn't forget to end where this passage ends - with the gospel. Cling to the hope of future glory by God's grace through Jesus - Thank god for it, and move on in faith because of it.

I'd appreciate these same prayers for me if I come to your mind today.

No comments: