One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




27 February 2006

Reasons Why Being Old Parents Will ROCK!

I was on the bus coming home from work recently when I realized I was 23.

"23!" I thought. "This is the year I wanted to be pregnant with my first kid..."

Fear seized my heart. I went home and talked to Stephan about projections for our life, and kids didn't seem to fit into the picture until I'm about 28 or 29...

"Oh NO!" My heart cried. "I'm going to be an OLD MOM!!"

Hold it.

"Old mom?" What's an old mom? In my mind it had become a mom who hasn't had her first child by 25. I know alot of women who will have had their first little one by 23, but my life is nothing like theirs. Stephan and I had to ask ourselves what we really wanted to have accomplished before we're parents, and there's really only 1 thing: me being a full time homemaker. Stephan will have to be able to support our family solo before we have children - and the way God has ordered our life, that still seems a few years off.

So, given all this, we ended praying alot and making a list of reasons why being "old parents" will rock! I refer to it regularly when I'm fearing being an old mom. If there are any women out there who find themselves in a similar situation, take heart! And feel free to c omment with additions to this list.

Reasons Why Being Old Parents Will ROCK!
  1. We'll be wiser
  2. We'll be financially established
  3. We'll be able to afford a big family
  4. We'll be able to afford a bigger house
  5. We'll be able to live in a more rural area
  6. Kari can be a full-time homemaker and mom
  7. We'll have time to build a strong marriage
  8. We'll have more time to give ourselves to church service / missions
  9. We'll have more time to enjoy life together (do things like travel, or our ultimate dream, hike The Appalachian Trail.)
  10. Kari will have more time to work herself into better physical shape before carrying a child
  11. We'll be abel to afford multiple adoptions (a deep set, long-time dream of ours).

No comments: