One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




31 March 2006

Bahrain Boat Disaster

Most anyone who knows me knows of my time in the Middle East. I usually just tell people I lived in Saudi Arabia, because they know where that is. But the truth is I lived on a little island nation off the coast of Saudi called Bahrain. It's only 10 miles by 30 miles, so you don't usually know about it unless you're really looking...

...or unless it makes the news.

Since Bahrain is an island, there's alot of fishing. The fishing is done on a boat called a Dhow. There are some more elaborate dhows, however - ones used as dinner boats or site-seeing vessels that sail around the harbor.

And like all boats, sometimes they capsize. There's a headline on BBC today about such a dissaster. There's a map of the island, so you can see my old hometown of Manama, and get an idea of how culturally diverse the little island is from the nationalities listed aboard the boat.

No comments: