One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




06 March 2006

My style

Sometime when I was little I got this idea in my head that I didn't have a personal "style". So sometime in my early teen years I started a quest to find my own personal style.

The darn thing was elusive. So I just kept going back to the stuff I could wear out in the woods while I continued The Hunt.

The Hunt continued Saturday when I went shopping with a friend. She was helping me look for stuff, and she asked "what's your style?"

"If I can't wear it in the woods I don't want it," I answered.

"No," she said, seeking clarification. "Like what type of look do you go for?"

"I gotta be able to walk up to a campfire and be taken seriously." I said.

"What? Well, you could be taken seriously at a campfire in blue. Why not try blue?"

Well, I tried blue - and put it all back. None of the blue at the mall screams "hippie!"

It was an arduous shopping trip and I ended up buying only one thing: a flowing, brown skirt with a simple ruffle at the bottom. I wore it to work yesterday and a good friend of mine paid me the compliment of my life.

"You look nice today," he said "...in a gypsy sorta way."

I cheered right there in the hallway.

I finally got wise a couple years ago and realized that all that stuff I wore in the woods was my personal style. I'd been trying to squeeze my square peg into the round holes of trends and it just wasn't going.

So I've finally given up and stayed in the woods. I blew the rest of my unpsent shopping money on a high-end piece of technical outdoor clothing. Oh well. Some causes are hopeless. =)

No comments: