One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




03 March 2006

"The simplicity, yet power of the Gospel."

I've talked to many people who, when you ask them what they think the crux of Christianity is, will say it's "doing good" or "keeping the rules" or "going to church every Sunday". My heart breaks at these misconceptions. That's not the point at all.

I read a letter a good, good friend of mine wrote lately to a couple who had really impacted her life. This letter simply expressed her heart to these people with the aim to encourage and thank them for their example. Below are a few exerpts from the letter. Some might read this and say my friend has a heart of gold - but the truth is, she's got a heart of gold in the process of being purified. She knows she's a sinner, but she knows she has a savior - and when that savior has finished with her, she will be like pure gold. Scripture promises this. I love her well-worded expression of how she came to a deeper realization, with this couple's help, that we have only one desperate need: we need a savior. The gospel gives us that. That's the bottom line of Christianity.

Listen to her heart:


"... It's so easy...to get wrapped up in the business of life, seeking to pursue ambition and be successful. It's also easy with the resources that we have to get caught up in the study of theology. While I think that is a great thing, I just love how all that matters and the most important thing [to you] is the Gospel. ... Seeing the visual idols and temples...really helped me to see that the idols in my life, though not tangible or substantial, are still sin in God's eyes. Just because they're not crafted by my hands doesn't mean that it's any less of an insult and expression of hatred towards God. ...He showed me that I'm just as desperate and in need of the Gospel as those who are worshipping at [the] temples. ... It's just as huge a battle over here as it [there]…sin is sin, regardless of the situations we're in. Different circumstances bring different trials and temptations, but all of it needs to be laid down at the foot of the cross, allowing us to die to our sin, and seeking to live to glorify Christ alone. ...What He revealed to me...was the simplicity, yet power of the Gospel."


I hope I can come to such a strong conviction as my friend has. "The rules" are in place for our benefit, but when all is said and done, our only lasting choice will be the one we made for or against the gospel. It is simple yet powerful.

Thank you friend, for being such an example of living a gospel-focused life. I have much to learn from you!

Click here to see what's so precious about the Gospel. It's the biggest favor you could do yourself.

No comments: