One gal's record of trying to pay much closer attention to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(...with a sprinkling of accounts from her outrageously blessed life with THE best husband in the world!)




02 March 2006

Preparing for Battle

I have a great devotional book called Morning and Evening. It's just a skinny page's worth of writing by a phenomenal pastor named Charles Spurgeon. In this morning's devotional Spurgeon wrote this:

"We might learn from our enemies if we would, and so make the Philistines sharpen our weapons."

It made me think of all the verses in scripture that tell us we're made better and more Christ-like through trials. If the enemy (the "Philistines") is out to harm me, I have two options on how to handle that trial: I can let it disarm me by choosing sinful responses, or I can let it "sharpen my weapons" by choosing godly responses. I think we'd all agree that it's a lot harder to be loving when someone's spiting us. But just as we become physically stronger by lifting heavier weights or running longer distances, we become spiritually stronger by facing greater trials.

I've got a rough week ahead of me. I can already foresee a lot of trails. Big ones. So I've got a choice to make. Am I going to let these attacks fall upon me and break me down, or am I going to grab hold of them and milk them for every bit of spiritual growth and maturity I can squeeze out of them?

Sounds so simple...

Every time I don't give into sin (by God's grace), it's a battle won. When I woke up this morning and felt despair, but recited scripture to myself, that practice driving my dagger home. When I humbly asked my husband a question instead of pre-judging his heart, that was an arrow hitting it's mark. When I felt lonely and self-pitying after I got to work but whistled a worship chorus to switch my focus from self to God, it was honing my aim.

But every time I go to bed angry at my husband, it's a chip in my blade. Every time I get irritated with a coworker, it's a fray in my bowstring. Every time I think myself better than soneone else, it's rust on my spearhead. My weapons against sin are weakened every time I refuse to use them.

I've also got maintenance work to do on these weapons of mine when I'm not using them. Every scripture I memorize is a whetstone against my dagger. Every prayer of dependence I pray to strengthen my heart is a straight, true arrow added to my quiver. Every week where I have consistent quiet times is a keener eye. Every time I meet a girlfriend for accountability is a lighter foot and a quicker hand. If I lack diligence in any of these practices, my skills and weapons will deteriorate, and when the time for battle comes, I won't be ready.

Well, I know this week is going to be a battle, and even maintained weapons are no good if I don't use them. I hope I can choose God over sin and win some skirmishes this week... and become spiritually stronger and more Christ-like in the process.

No comments: